Services provided by the department
- The AMU supports the management of GP medical activity sent to St Peter's Hospital.
- The unit provides a triage and fast-track assessment for all Adult Medical referrals, according to specific pathways, thereby easing A&E pressures.
- The aim is to provide a better experience for patients and help GPs access urgent medical assessment for appropriate patients, avoiding unnecessary admission by offering other treatment/pathway options, including clinical advice. (Currently only 49% of Adult GP referrals to our A&E result in an admission).
- Our approach is based on best practice from other A&E departments which has been shown to be effective.
The Acute Medicine Unit is open:
- For all (haemo-dynamically-stable) GP adult medical referrals.
- 24/7 - Mon to Sun inclusive.
We are on level 3 of the Duchess of Kent Wing at St Peter's Hospital.
Telephone: 01932 722010
Our Clinical Team
The consulting team in the department are:
Dr Jacqueline INCE
Diabetes and endocrinology
Dr Esther NEMATI
Dr Nazia RASHID
Diabetes and general endocrinology
Dr Jonathan ROBIN
Divisional Director for Medicine
Dr Ahmed YOUSSEIF
Clinical Lead for Acute Medicine (AMU)
Anybody can get pneumonia, including young fit adults. There are other factors that may make people more prone to it. These include:
- Long-standing respiratory conditions
- Alcohol and/or drug abuse
- Increasing age
- Other medical conditions such as diabetes, cancer and stroke
- AIDS ... read more