TV broadcaster and journalist Victoria Derbyshire, herself a former patient, hosted Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust’s annual Staff Achievement Awards at Brooklands Museum on Friday 7th September. Awards were made in 11 categories, including Long Service Awards to 29 people.
Victoria Derbyshire commented on presenting the awards: “It’s a real privilege, its magical being in that room with hundreds of NHS staff who work really hard day in day out. To recognize and acknowledge the kind of work that they do and reiterate that they are not taken for granted what they do is remarkable on a daily basis and I absolutely loved being here and being a part of it.
“For people like me who have been treated at the Trust it is so wonderful to see members of staff smiling away, when everybody knows how hard it is working in the NHS at present. I’m happy to be alive and that’s thanks to the treatment I received at Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals”
Chief Executive Suzanne Rankin said: “What an inspiring and uplifting event! This is my absolute favourite event of the year – our very own Oscars – celebrating all those colleagues who have gone the extra mile on behalf of patients and others. Just the tip of the iceberg I know, but nevertheless an opportunity to showcase Team ASPH at its very best.
“The whole event made me feel incredibly proud of our team at Ashford and St. Peter’s, who do a fantastic job in often difficult circumstances. Those who received awards are all worthy winners; however I know they feel able to do their job well because of the support of their colleagues and in this way, the awards recognise and celebrate the efforts of everyone.”
The award winners were:
- Patients First - Sarah James-Reid, Stoma Nurse
- Personal Responsibility - Dr Mohson Ahmad, Surgical Registrar
- Passion for Excellence - Emma Cheeseman, Assistant Theatre Practitioner
- Pride in our Team - Paediatric Diabetes Team
- Inspiring Leader - Leigh Hughes, Clinical Specialist Respiratory Physiotherapist
- Unsung Hero - Marvin Asis, Porter
- ‘Be the Change’ Project of the Year -"What Matters to Me" Senior Adult Medical Services, Holly and Swift Wards
- Volunteer of the Year - Marjorie Nesbit and Teresa Bunguard, Dementia Volunteers
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Dr Clive Grundy, Consultant Microbiologist
- Chief Executive's Award - Toks Ogunbanjo, Chief Pharmacist
Toks Ogunbanjo, Chief Pharmacist