Services provided by the department
- The MAU supports the management of GP medical activity sent to St Peter's Hospital.
- The unit provides a triage and fast-track assessment for all Adult Medical referrals, according to specific pathways, thereby easing A&E pressures.
- The aim is to provide a better experience for patients and help GPs access urgent medical assessment for appropriate patients, avoiding unnecessary admission by offering other treatment/pathway options, including clinical advice. (Currently only 49% of Adult GP referrals to our A&E result in an admission).
- Our approach is based on best practice from other A&E departments which has been shown to be effective.
The Medical Assessment Unit is open:
- For all (haemo-dynamically-stable) GP adult medical referrals.
- 24/7 - Mon to Sun inclusive.
Our Clinical Team
The consulting team in the department are:
Dr Jacqueline INCE
Dr Jonathan M ROBIN
Anybody can get pneumonia, including young fit adults. There are other factors that may make people more prone to it. These include:
- Long-standing respiratory conditions
- Alcohol and/or drug abuse
- Increasing age
- Other medical conditions such as diabetes, cancer and stroke
- AIDS ... read more