The National Quality Board’s has published guidance entitled: "How to ensure the right people, with the right skill, are in the right place at the right time: a guide to nursing, midwifery and care staffing capacity and capability."
The document can be viewed by clicking here.
The guide sets out 10 expectations on NHS providers and commissioners as follows:
- EXPECTATION 1: Boards take full responsibility for the quality of care provided to patients, and as a key determinant of quality, take full and collective responsibility for nursing, midwifery and care staffing capacity and capability.
- EXPECTATION 2: Processes are in place to enable staffing establishments to be met on a shift-to-shift basis.
- EXPECTATION 3: Evidence-based tools are used to inform nursing, midwifery and care staffing capacity and capability.
- EXPECTATION 4: Clinical and managerial leaders foster a culture of professionalism and responsiveness, where staff feel able to raise concerns
- EXPECTATION 5: A multi-professional approach is taken when setting nursing, midwifery and care staffing establishments.
- EXPECTATION 6: Nurses, midwives and care staff have sufficient time to fulfil responsibilities that are additional to their direct caring duties.
- EXPECTATION 7: Boards receive monthly updates on workforce information, and staffing capacity and capability is discussed at a public Board meeting at least every six months on the basis of a full nursing and midwifery establishment review.
- EXPECTATION 8: NHS providers clearly display information about the nurses, midwives and care staff present on each ward, clinical setting, department or service on each shift.
- EXPECTATION 9: Providers of NHS services take an active role in securing staff in line with their workforce requirements.
- EXPECTATION 10: Commissioners actively seek assurance that the right people, with the right skills, are in the right place at the right time within the providers with whom they contract.
In this section, we publish the data we send monthly to NHS England. Please note that the submitted files are in XLSM format.
|March 2022||February 2022||January 2022||December 2021||n/a||October 2021|
|September 2021||August 2021||July 2021||June 2021||May 2021||April 2021|
|March 2021||February 2021||January 2021||December 2020||November 2020||n/a|
|n/a||n/a||July 2020||June 2020||n/a||n/a|
|March 2020||February 2020||January 2020||December 2019||November 2019||October 2019|
|September 2019||August 2019||July 2019||June 2019||May 2019||April 2019|
|March 2019||February 2019||January 2019||December 2018||November 2018||October 2018|
|September 2018||August 2018||July 2018||n/a||n/a||April 2018|
|March 2018||February 2018||January 2018||December 2017||November 2017||October 2017|