If you’re concerned about your drinking or someone else’s, a good first step is to visit your GP. They’ll be able to discuss the services and treatments available.
Your alcohol intake may be assessed using tests, such as the:
- Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test – a widely used screening test that can help determine whether you need to change your drinking habits
- Fast Alcohol Screening Test – a simpler test to check whether your drinking has reached dangerous levels
- Severity of Alcohol Dependence Questionnaire – this helps identify how severely dependent on alcohol you may be
As well as the NHS, there are a number of charities and support groups across the UK that provide support and advice for people with an alcohol misuse problem.
For example, you may want to contact:
- Alcohol Change – runs the national drink helpline, Drinkline on 0300 123 1110
- Alcoholics Anonymous – helpline 0845 769 7555
- Al-Anon Family Groups – helpline 020 7403 0888
For a full list of charities and support groups, visit www.nhs.uk/Livewell.