Three restaurants at the Trust have received prestigious Eat Out Eat Well Gold Awards. Just Dine, Eat Well and the Post Graduate Education Centre were given the awards for the range of healthy eating options on their menus.
OCS Catering Manager, Duncan Spring said: “Naturally we are delighted to have been given these awards. A great deal of meticulous work and planning goes into making sure our restaurants offer our patients, visitors and staff a varied range of nutritious healthy food.
“OCS has changed many things during our time here to improve the variety of healthy food options available to the staff and visitors of our hospitals, these include the following:
- Moving products high in sugar, salt and fat (HFSS) away from our sales points.
- Banning advertising of any HFSS foods.
- Increasing the healthy options available 24 hrs a day by installing two healthy vending machines.
- Increasing the % of sandwiches under 400kcal to 65% and displaying these separately.
- Changing all our crisps to the baked variety
- Reducing the amount of high sugar drinks sold to an average of 8% per month (drinks over 5 grams of sugar per 100ml)
- Having fresh fruit available at all our tills and in all restaurants
- Launching a healthy eating brand called Good 4U that invites customers to make an informed choice by using the traffic light system on our menus to show healthy options
- Using oil which is either olive or rapeseed and lower in saturates
- Not adding colourings, preservatives or unnecessary salt to any of our food
- Freshly making our salad bar on site and increasing the amount of undressed items.
- We have also introduced salad boxes under 400kcal
- Ensuring all our vegetables are either steamed, roasted or grilled.
- Introducing natural infused water
- Using brown rice and pasta where possible
- Always offering wholemeal bread
- Using semi skimmed milk in all our fresh coffee machines.
“This recognition is testament to the hard work of everyone in the OCS team and we will continue to meet the highest quality standards and provide a broad and balanced range of wholesome and healthy foods for the benefit of everyone who uses our restaurants.”