The Orthopaedic Supported Discharge Team was set up in March 2014 to enable trauma and orthopaedic patients to continue their specialist rehabilitation within their own home setting.
The team aims to help patients achieve the same expected outcomes, if not better than those achieved during an inpatient stay, as rehabilitating at home can help to promote recovery quicker than staying in hospital.
The team comprises a Physiotherapist, Nurse, Occupational Therapist and 2 Therapy Assistants who currently provide:
- Specialist therapy for the patient at home for up to 14 visits.
- Advice and emotional support for patients, carers and families.
- Support to patients to make their own decisions and set their own goals in their home environment.
- The team has a close working relationship with our orthopaedic team and our orthogeriatricians which helps reduce complications and readmissions.
The team is based on Swan Ward which enables them to get to know their patients prior to discharge and they visit them at home within 24hours. The team have received excellent feedback from patients using the Friends and Family test, comments include:
- "Treated like a Queen"
- "First class after-care"
- "Weekend home care is good. They know about their patients' condition and treat accordingly"
- "I couldn't have coped without their help"
- "The team were always well informed, friendly and encouraging"
- "Very good that there is a person to come out to help you, and take an interest in you rather than just fulfilling the system quotation."
The picture above shows from left to right front row: Team Leader and Senior Physiotherapist Michal Krasuski, Therapy Assistant Vicky Main, Sister Helen Haylor. Back row, Debbie-Ann Heinze Therapy Assistant and Sabrina Linstromberg Occupational Therapist